> Interesting.  Can you do 'su -' to become root?
I haven't set a root pwd, but `sudo su -` works fine

> What are the ownership and permissions of /home/lfs/,
> /home/lfs/.bash_profile, and /home/lfs/.bashrc ?
All standard, I believe, respectively:
755 lfs:lfs

644 lfs:lfs
644 lfs:lfs

> Did you set the lfs user's password?
I did

> After becoming user lfs, what is the output from running 'set'?
well, using `su lfs` and then sourcing `~/.bash_profile` it is:

BASH=/bin/bash
BASHOPTS=checkwinsize:cmdhist:complete_fullquote:expand_aliases:extquote:force_fignore:globasciiranges:hostcomplete:interactive_comments:progcomp:promptvars:sourcepath
BASH_ALIASES=()
BASH_ARGC=([0]="0")
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_CMDS=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="5" [1]="0" [2]="3" [3]="1" [4]="release"
[5]="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='5.0.3(1)-release'
COLUMNS=234
DIRSTACK=()
EUID=1001
GROUPS=()
HISTFILE=/home/lfs/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=500
HISTSIZE=500
HOME=/home/lfs
HOSTNAME=LFSDebian
HOSTTYPE=x86_64
IFS=$' \t\n'
LC_ALL=POSIX
LFS=/lfs
LFS_TGT=x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu
LINES=53
MACHTYPE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
MAILCHECK=60
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OSTYPE=linux-gnu
PATH=/lfs/tools/bin:/usr/bin
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")
PPID=10904
PS1='\u:\w\$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD=/home/lfs
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor
SHLVL=1
TERM=xterm-256color
UID=1001
_=PATH

> The idea of Section 4.4 is to create a very austere environment. Did
> you see the Important note in Section 4.4?  Does /etc/bash.bashrc
> exist on your host?

I did have to rename /etc/bash/bashrc on Debian, I suspected it could
cause problem as it seems to do a couple important things. But it's not it.