On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 03:52:35AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

> ../configure --prefix=/usr                            \
>              --disable-werror                         \
>              --enable-kernel=3.2                      \
>              --enable-stack-protector=strong          \
>              --with-headers=/usr/include              \
>              libc_cv_slibdir=/lib libc_cv_include_x86_isa_level=no
>
> I've started the native build, but the machine is slow (i3, slow
> DRAM) and I'm not sure it will get very far before I go to bed.  My
> revised plan is to wait for it to fail, whether that is failign the
> build or failing to boot.
>
> Assuming it does fail, I'll start again with that workaround.

Well I don't need that workaround for using '-march=native -O2' on
my skylake, it booted successfully.  Fortunately, Frans said it
works for him, and htat distros are using it, so I guess we too
should use it.

However, there was one problem other than my own typos in editing
scripts - tried to build linux-5.10.13 -

  CC      arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.o
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:279: arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.o]
Segmentation fault

Feb  8 20:45:13 leshp klogd: [62379.838193] objtool[10870]: segfault at 70 ip
000000000040c13e sp 00007ffd0f655670 error 4 in objtool[402000+11000]
followed by a dump of the code bytes.

Decided to try 5.10.14 just in case, but that failed the same way,
on the same file (freshly extracted 5.10 source, freshly patched to
.14).  Then I tried 5.11.0-rc7 and that built without problems.

My initial guess is that the memory has gone faulty, so I booted
memtest86.  That is currently part-way through the second of four
passes, no errors found so far.  Maybe it was the old "cosmic rays"
problem, maybe an error will show before memtest86 finishes, or
maybe binutils-2.36.1 still has a problem with something in the
kernel.

I suppose I'd better go back to updating the rest of my scripts so
that I can try builds on haswell and zen1 with -march=native.+

ĸen
--
Any attempt to brew coffee with a teapot should result in the error
code "418 I'm a teapot". The resulting entity body MAY be short and