<libav-user-boun...@ffmpeg.org on behalf of ceffm...@gmail.com> wrote:

    >      > The streams I’m working with are of the Annex B variety.
    >
    >      I would have expected that the rtp specification for H.264
    >      requires the video stream not to be in this format, am I
    >      wrong?
    >
    >      Can you provide such a stream (or even better a patch
    >      to FFmpeg that allows to create a stream so a possible
    >      fix can be tested)?
    >
    >      Carl Eugen
    >
    > RFC 3984/6184 do not prescribe Annex B.  The old version of our software
has to convert the 3984/6184 formatted H.264 into the Annex B format in order
for (the ancient version of) FFMPEG to decode the video.  That is, the old
version of our software parses the RTP, reassembles the NAL Units from the
fragmentation units, and adds the start codes before submitting the NAL units
to the decoder.

    > Does that answer your question?  It could be that I don’t understand the
question or the specs well enough.

    > As far as providing a stream, I can provide tons of network captures
carrying streams of that type.  How shall I get them to you?

    > Regarding a patch, it would be months before I could get anything
submitted.  My C skills aren’t great and I don’t know the FFMPEG codebase that
well.

    > By the way, thanks for the help and your continued work.  You’ve got a
tough job answering all the questions.

    Why dont you just add a packet type 96 to the sdp file? forming the
    sprop-parameter-sets is not too difficult.

    you could also optionally use a third party lib for networking and do
    the demux yourself and just use av_codec for decoding.

    Andy

Andy:

I don’t think you understand the problem.

First, of course we can use SDP files.  I was trying to point out that it may
be possible to auto-detect the streams without an SDP file.

Second, one of the main reasons we’re rewriting our application is that we
don’t want to do the demuxing ourselves.  We’ve already been down that road.