On 11 Jun 2015, at 12:00, Simon Walter <si...@gikaku.com> wrote:

> Looking at projects that use APR, many seem to include the entire thing
> in their code base. I'm guessing that one of the drawbacks is that APR
> comes with a lot of baggage so to speak.

You can dynamically link to an APR library.

> Have you used both libdbi and the database bits of APR? Is there any
> advantage to using libdbi compared to APR?

I've either used one or the other. I expect you can use both but
can't see any reason to.

apr is more frequently updated, has many other functions (e.g.
a complete memory pool manager), and works on a wider range of
platforms I believe (including Windows).

libdbi is simpler than APR to get used to, and has a smaller memory
footprint.

You should also compare the choice of backends if you care about
that.

--
Alex Bligh