At 2015-06-11 09:12, Simon Walter was heard to say:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to using libdbi and C in general. I am wondering why libdbi has
> no support for prepared statements.
>
> Is it that because the way libdbi is written, a prepared statement
> would
> not provide any benefit? Or is it just lacking that feature? If it's
> just lacking the feature, are there plans to add that?
>
> If the application I'm writing can benefit from prepared statements, I
> would like to eventually either add that feature to libdbi or I may
> have
> to use something else in the future.
>
> I haven't taken a deep look at the libdbi code. So any insight is
> appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Simon
>
> PS
>
> If I should have sent this to the development list, please let me know.
> Thanks.

Hi,

I can't tell if prepared statements would speed up things when accessing
databases through libdbi. As in many free software projects, the main
reason for the lack of prepared statements is that nobody invested his
time in implementing them. This includes myself, although I can't recall
many requests for this feature. However, I think libdbi could support
prepared statements if someone takes care of it. My commitments to my
dayjob and to my family do not leave much dev time currently.

If you think about helping to implement this feature, you need to
consider both libdbi and libdbi-drivers. libdbi needs a generic
interface to prepared statements that covers all database backends. The
drivers have to implement the feature using the functions of their
respective client libraries. Therefore, it is best to design and discuss
the interface first, and then to move on from there.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka