Here's my prediction: Silent Circle will not fundamentally change anything. It
will have no where near the impact that Phil's work on open cryptography
standards has. It may be a great niche product for businesses, professional
journalist groups and large NGOs looking for a turnkey solution. It will not be
relevant for the majority people on the ground in high risk places with state
based surveillance. It will not satisfy the most privacy concerned users in
"free" countries either.

Ultimately it is a *commercial product* aiming to package up complex
capabilities into a promise of a tidy easy to use solutions. It is a worthy
endeavor but there are many, many people out there trying to go the business
route and I don't believe there is actually enough of a market for this to
satisfy a venture capitalist or organic revenue to sustain itself. Cryptophone,
WaveSecure, Cryptcell, IronKey, ZeroBank, Hushmail are just a few attempted
similar efforts. All worthy efforts... but niche and ultimately not having the
large impact we all might hope, and perhaps some even doing damage by promoting
forked, out of date solutions.

I fundamentally believe you can't design a product both for CEOs and
revolutionaries. The threat models are entirely different. You can't be all
things to all people especially if you are charging 20 USD per user per month,
on top of a users existing 3g data plan.

+n8fr8