I'm not entirely clear on why this is advantageous versus say Google
Hangouts. You're likely using Google Talk servers in both cases, which is
the central point of control no matter what. What am I missing Andrew? I
trust Google's encryption more than I do Jitsi's, and my pretty darn
thorough walk through the Jitsi code (granted years ago now) was a pretty
frightening experience -- not security-wise but just code wise.

-Adam

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM, <liberationt...@lewman.us> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 06:52:35 -0800
> Brian Conley <bri...@smallworldnews.tv> wrote:
>
> > So I guess the question is, is there a more/similarly convenient
> > video/audio chatting tool that can be advocated as a standard?
>
> Here's a single data point, extrapolate at your peril, I use Jitsi,
> https://jitsi.org/.
>
> I use jitsi daily for all my phone calls, text chats, and video chats.
> It's not as slick as Skype, yet. It's just a piece of software, you
> need to setup your own chat or voip accounts. It works with gchat,
> facebook, aol, msn, etc. It just works. It's effectively the open
> source version of skype. It's the same UI and functionality across
> operating systems (windows, macs, linux, bsds). I've watched non-tech
> people figure it out in 10 minutes and start chatting/calling, etc.
>
> I have zrtp-encrypted video and voice chats with people around the
> world. I can share my screen so others can see what I'm doing. For
> zrtp-encryption and screen sharing, all parties have to use jitsi. And
> OTR-wrapped text chat works well so far with any client on the other
> end.
>
> It's still a work in progress, much like Skype was when it was first
> released, but it's functional and gets out of the way so you can
> communicate. My $0.02.
>
> --
> Andrew
> http://tpo.is/contact