Brian Conley:
> So I guess the question is, is there a more/similarly convenient
> video/audio chatting tool that can be advocated as a standard?

Jitsi?

> Skype is a problem, hands down. But people will continue to use it,
> particularly in situations they see as nonthreatening (rightly and wrongly)
> because it is convenient and maintains weight in the marketplace.

People will continue to use it as long as this community and others
accepts it as a reasonable tool. It isn't a reasonable tool and we
should warn people not to use it. We should rather encourage them to use
open and standard protocol, as well as to use FLOSS implementations.

> This is a long way of asking, is Goohke Hangout functionally better? Is
> anything else? Or, how do we get someone to develop a convenient p2p
> chatting tool that is also pleasurable to use?

Jitsi is likely better for a lot of stuff. It is written in Java (yay no
programmer introduced buffer overflows, boo java, boo java), it has OTR
for chatting and ZRTP for VoIP calls. It does this with standard
jabber/xmpp accounts. Users can download it over HTTPS and I believe the
cert may be pinned now in Google Chrome. It isn't perfect but if I had
to choose between it and Skype, I guess I'd not have a lot of trouble
making the choice of using Jitsi.

All the best,
Jake