On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <ja...@appelbaum.net> wrote:

> It runs software that is in Debian, the GNU/Linux operating system. I
> know, I've written some of it (eg: tlsdate). They do a good job of
> locking things down but it is basically just another distribution of Linux.

I don't agree it's "basically just another linux distribution" in that most
distros (zero?) aren't using the dm-verity Google mostly wrote and
contributed upstream for their purposes.  The distro's could use it.
Chrome OS is also totally stripped down compared to a typical linux
distribution.  It's runs X but the window manager is customized and their
own (open source, but nonetheless).

But yes- it's a Linux kernel with an admixture of userland things, some of
which are GNU, some of which are not.

This is hilarious.

> I would *never* use a laptop that lacks a way to protect all your
> traffic (eg: VPN/Tor/SSH tunnel/etc) in a place with serious
> surveillance as an at risk person.

It has ssh and supports a number of VPN protocols.  What's so funny?

> Not only because the remote systems
> will have your exact geographic location and because a lack of anonymity
> allows for targeted attacks, but also because the local network is well
> known to be seriously hostile!
>
> A persistent backdoor on your Chromebook is not actually impossible. I
> have a few ideas for how to make it happen and I've discuss
> security/development issues with the ChromeOS team on a nearly daily basis.

Good luck with that.  Maybe you want to make some money this year at Pwnium?

> Yes, you can't compare Chrome OS's attack surface to a typical linux
> > distribution, or even a highly customized linux install which doesn't
> have
> > the hardware root of trust.
> >

> Actually, I think you can compare it - one major advantage is that you
> can protect your network traffic and compartmentalize your risk with any
> Secure Boot enabled Linux distro. You can also do it without secure boot
> and it isn't terribly hard as long as you draw arbitrary lines like "the
> EFI firmware blobs and hardware are out of scope" which is what happens
> with Secure Boot systems anyway.

I think you're seriously missing the point here.  My remarks were well
qualified.  Conditionals have to met:

- IF you want low cost (time is money, so efforts to set up a Linux secure
laptop that are time consuming are expensive, as is all the time you spent
to learn how to do these things in the first place)
- IF you want a somewhat naive user to use the device (eg. journalist)
- etc.

All you're saying is that "If I'm a total techie weenie with nothing but
time on my hands I can do way better than a Chromebook".

Well of course.  I don't disagree with something along those lines.  But
that's not the practical use cases I was trying to summons.

That said, to the extent that I sort of implied a Chromebook is some kind
of safe thing to use in China for a person at risk... well.... no.  I would
not want to stand on that!  And I actually agree with what you're saying as
far as that goes.

My point was for something off the shelf, I know of nothing better and as
far as it goes... I'd say it's a step up for a lot people who should be
using more secure IT technologies and methods than they are (such as some
journalists), and they can take that step with minimal investment in time
and energy and a chromebook will meet their needs.

Trever