No, it's really not - there are parts of the US gov (and VZ - I work
there and I feel the same way about all this as anyone here) that
oppose this type of blanket surveillance of an entire society. And if
you think everyone in the government is monolithic about foreign
policy, well, then there's a lot more reading you should probably do.
I wish it were a little *more* fractured, personally, to avoid some of
the more egregious bits we've seen over the last couple of centuries,
but just because a side "wins" doesn't mean everyone is on board.