On 2013-06-07, at 8:31 AM, Yishay Mor <yish...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "If all this already exists, why isn’t everybody doing it? Well, simply
> because there is no integration at all among all those objects. "
>
> No. we don't need no software bundles. we don't need no sleek installers.
> How long does it take me to set up a gmail account? facebook account? flickr
> account? 20 seconds. how much does it cost me to set up? how much does it
> cost me to maintain? (ok, skype is an exception, I do need to install).

Interestingly, we've been getting some emails since the NSA/PRISM story
regarding people switching to Cryptocat.

It's a really encouraging and awesome trend to see people care about
privacy-enabling technologies that are accessible and easy to use. To an
extent, we've succeeded here because we've made it as easy as Facebook or Skype
to have private conversations using free and open source software. So if
someone is switching from Facebook or Skype to Cryptocat, it's a really
positive thing.

The big challenge, though, so far is delineating the use cases and threat
models. I have no problem seeing a lot of regular people flock to Cryptocat
just for common-sense privacy concerns. But catering to that, and catering to
activists/human rights workers in Mission Impossible situations, are two
different stories. Concerning the latter, considering the outrageous nature of
the PRISM story, I may have not been joking when I said "STOP PROMOTING THE
INTERNET" to activists after all. :P

NK