On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 10:18:25 AM -0400, Griffin Boyce wrote:

> average users need to have basic services that are
> (unfortunately) run by third parties.

The proposal in that post of mine that I already cited would also solve this.

It would be a way for non-geeks to get all their basic services
offered/managed by third parties, if you can't don't want to do it
yourself, but as ONE bundle (domain name included) that can be moved
in any moment from hosting provider to hosting provider without loss
of data/disruption of service, with two direct consequences:

- better resilience

- no way to get private data of X millions users by talking only to a
  handful of corporations, because those data would be scattered
  across many thousands of independently managed servers, worldwide.

BTW, since I'm getting offlist questions about this: in case you were
thinking "what you want is the FreedomBox", NO, what I'm talking about
is NOT the FreedomBox. What I'm suggesting is compatible with the
FreedomBox, but it's something else, much more concrete. See the
details in the comments to that same post.

          Marco
--

M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com                   http://stop.zona-m.net

software is used *around* you