This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but an alleged anonymous TSA screener started a blog. I think that some of the details, such as the fact that they allegedly have acronyms for bogus bag checks designed to inconvenience passengers who are "difficult" speaks volumes.

http://boingboing.net/2012/12/21/anonymous-tsa-insider-blog.html

- Greg

On 8/31/13 2:14 AM, Luis Felipe R. Murillo wrote:
On 08/30/2013 01:54 PM, Yosem Companys wrote:
From: Caspar Bowden <li...@casparbowden.net>

  I realize this is an improbable request (I think), but is anyone aware of
any Surveillance Studies research on the organisations conducting *
covert/secret* mass-surveillance (a "securitocracy")

many thanks any pointers

I am not particularly familiar with this literature, but I know of a few
pointers.

This seminar in Brazil brought together researchers studying
surveillance and social control. They had three panels of interest
('Internet and Surveillance', 'New Technologies of Surveillance', and
'Institutional Surveillance'):

http://www2.pucpr.br/ssscla/

These two references are central in the debate (so Caspar must be super
familiar with them):

- Foucault, Michel. "Discipline and Punish" (redefining the debate on
the nature of power and the nature of state power):

http://www.foucault.info/documents/disciplineandpunish/foucault.disciplineandpunish.panopticism.html

- Deleuze, Gilles. "Society of Control" (updating Foucault's treatment
of surveillance to the contemporary 'society of control'):

http://www.nadir.org/nadir/archiv/netzkritik/societyofcontrol.html

best!
luisfelipe.

--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: