On 09/01/13 22:21, Guido Witmond wrote:
Before the revelations and the subsequent confirmations, many people
would rather believe the old truth (having nothing to hide) than to live
with the new truth that they've been misled.

Truth hurts. That's the reason why so many people claim they have
nothing to hide. It's emotional.

And often the people claiming this most loudly are politicians, because the clamour for "transparency" into every detail of a political candidate's private life has made this imperative.

We should be afraid of that tendency, because if the only people prepared to go into public life are those whose interior life is so dull or non-existent that they really have nothing to hide, then it is certain we will be ruled by philosophical zombies with a sub-normal sense of empathy and self-awareness. I'd rather elect a hypocrite any day

Caspar
--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: