Dear LibTech

I am pleased to announce a new Citizen Lab report, authored by Bill Marczak,
Claudio Guarnieri, Morgan Marquis-Boire, John Scott-Railton, and Sarah McKune,
called "Hacking Team's US Nexus." This report is the third in a series on
Hacking Team's global proliferation, this time focusing on US data hosting
services being employed as part of foreign espionage campaigns.

The full report is here:
https://citizenlab.org/2014/02/hacking-teams-us-nexus/

And the Washington Post story on the report is here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/italian-spyware-firm-relies-on-us-internet-servers/2014/03/03/25f94f12-9f00-11e3-b8d8-94577ff66b28_print.html

A high level summary is posted below.

Cheers
Ron

Hacking Team’s US Nexus

Authors: Bill Marczak, Claudio Guarnieri, Morgan Marquis-Boire, John
Scott-Railton, and Sarah McKune

This post is the third in a series of posts that focus on the global
proliferation and use of Hacking Team’s RCS spyware, which is sold exclusively
to governments.

Summary

Remote Control System (RCS) is sophisticated computer spyware marketed and sold
exclusively to governments by Milan-based Hacking Team.  RCS can record Skype
calls, copy passwords, e-mails, files and instant messages, and turn on a
computer or phone’s webcam and microphone to spy on nearby activity.  An
earlier Citizen Lab report showed how one RCS user -- believed to be the
Ethiopian Government -- targeted journalists in the Washington DC area with the
spyware.  Previously, governments have used RCS to target journalists in
Morocco, activists in the UAE, and a US-based critic of Turkish charter schools.

Two weeks ago, the present authors released a report Mapping Hacking Team’s
“Untraceable” Spyware, which identifies 21 governments that we suspect are
current or former users of RCS.  The report showed that computers infected with
RCS send surveillance data back to the government operator through a series of
servers in multiple third countries, called a proxy chain or circuit.  This is
to prevent someone who discovers a copy of the spyware or an infected computer
from tracing it back to the government.  For example, an infected target may
discover that his computer is sending information to a server in Fremont,
California, but would not be able to trace the ultimate destination of this
information to Uzbekistan.

In this post, we delve deeper into these proxy chains, and find that in at
least 12 cases, US-based data centers are part of this dedicated foreign
espionage infrastructure.  Our analysis traces these proxy chains, and finds
that US-based servers appear to assist the governments of Azerbaijan, Colombia,
Ethiopia, Korea, Mexico, Morocco, Poland, Thailand, Uzbekistan, and the United
Arab Emirates in their espionage and/or law enforcement operations.
Azerbaijan, Ethiopia, and Uzbekistan receive the lowest ranking,
“authoritarian,” in The Economist’’s 2012 Democracy Index.

The extensive and deliberate use of dedicated US hosting companies by foreign
countries’ wiretapping activities raises a number of pressing legal and policy
concerns. These include whether RCS client countries violate US law and
longstanding international legal principles on sovereignty and nonintervention
through use of this spyware. Moreover, RCS client countries, by exposing
wiretap data to US and other jurisdictions, may have violated internal laws
governing the safeguarding of wiretapped material.

We also identify several cases where US-based spyware servers were disguised as
the websites of US companies, including a small New York-based financial
services firm related to an SEC investigation, a small Oregon newspaper, and
ABC News.  We believe that the disguises were designed to mislead targets if
they discovered that their systems were communicating with these servers.
Thus, we believe that the targets of the the spyware in these instances had
some familiarity with these companies.

Ronald Deibert
Director, the Citizen Lab
and the Canada Centre for Global Security Studies
Munk School of Global Affairs
University of Toronto
(416) 946-8916
PGP: http://deibert.citizenlab.org/pubkey.txt