Hi Liberation Tech

I am pleased to announce a new Citizen Lab report we are releasing today, which
I thought might be of interest.  The report documents a threat actor who, for
the past seven years, has run a large-scale targeted digital attack campaign in
several countries of South America.  Titled Packrat: Seven Years of a South
American Threat Actor, the report is written by Citizen Lab Senior Researchers
John Scott-Railton, Claudio Guarnieri, and Morgan Marquis-Boire and with the
collaboration of independent researcher Marion Marschalek,

The full report is here:  https://citizenlab.org/2015/12/packrat/

Associated Press has extensive coverage here:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fa7618cf36a642fb900a4f35b2c986b1/south-america-hacker-team-targets-dissidents-journalists

The group, which we name “Packrat,” came to our attention in 2015 when several
Citizen Lab researchers began independently receiving reports of phishing and
malware targeting journalists and public figures in Ecuador.  After some
analysis, it became clear that this was the same group who had targeted a
number of prominent figures in Argentina, including Argentinian special
prosecutor Alberto Nisman, who was found dead in January 2015 under suspicious
circumstances.  Putting the pieces together it became clear that these reports
were the tip of an iceberg.

Ultimately, our analysis led us to developing a technique for quickly searching
the inboxes of potential victims, which led us to many more victims.  One of
the authors developed a Gmail search query for strings associated with the
attacks.  We shared this query with many potential targets, resulting in hits
for phishing attacks, as well as suspicious Microsoft Word (DOCX) files sent to
a range of journalists and public figures.

We found that Packrat uses malware and phishing attack techniques, but also
operates elaborate fake online news and advocacy organizations, perhaps to seed
disinformation, or possibly to attract unsuspecting political targets.
Packrat’s targets included journalists, activists, politicians and public
figures in several South American countries.

Packrat has an extensive infrastructure, and seems to operate without fear of
discovery or exposure.  Twice during the analysis process Packrat operators
messaged a Citizen Lab researcher from on infected machines, sending death
threats and taunts in English and Spanish.

While the report does not explicitly attribute Packrat to a particular
organization or government, we conclude that the information collected by
Packrat likely makes its way to at least one government.

I think the report illustrates the importance of conducting careful and
in-depth mixed methods research into the digital threats facing civil society.
In addition, the report highlights the increasingly risky environment in which
journalists and others operate in South America.  I hope you have a chance to
read it and I welcome any feedback.

All the best
Ron
ps apologies for any cross posting.