On 2014-12-18 19:11, Noah Shachtman wrote:
> One the one hand, I see US officials leaking word that the North
> Koreans were involved...
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world/asia/us-links-north-korea-to-sony-hacking.html
>
>  On the other, I see evidence that points to a hacktivist-type
> outfit...
>
> http://www.wired.com/2014/12/evidence-of-north-korea-hack-is-thin/
>
> Any ideas on which narrative (or combination thereof) is right?

Both miss IMHO the point. This was clearly a politically motivated
attack by a nation state intended to create the severest immediate
impact possible on Sony. Hitting the technical, informational and soon
the financial layer as well. Latter should be devastating because the
first plaintiffs already turned up, class action suit.
If you can translate German below is my story on the late return of
harddisk swipers to the malware scene after vanishing in 1999. This is
what Saudi Aramco Attacks 2012, the 2013 South Korea attacks and those
on Sony have in common.
Should be a all a matter of politics, what these idiots playing
wargames in our civilian networks call "cyber"
The attackers must have been long into Sony before. Mapped the entired
network just as the NSA or GCHQ would do and then hit abruptly with a
none too sophisticated exploit but one that worked. Exfiltrated data
then swiped the disks, the file index alone is 1 GB text

The Sony Data Dump Timebomb [German]
http://fm4.orf.at/stories/1750840/
Just my 2 cents
Gruesse aus Wien
Erich

> Best,
>

> nms

- --

https://moechel.com/kontakt        PGP KEY 0x2440DE65
fingerprint A564 1457 71C3 E907 6D78 429E 76F3 C66E 2440 DE65