thanks all for the many good suggestions!  however, in absence of a clear
consensus, I will advise my friend to avoid voice and stick to encrypted email.
 my understanding is that the new leadership in china isn’t f#cking around, so
the risk/reward equation here suggests heightened caution - especially as I
cannot make assumptions on technical know-how of parties involved.

thanks again!

- t