Dear Steve,

Thank you for your response. Finally a real person from Facebook to talk
to. I am completely locked out (since mid-day July 1, 2015) and I
received two more e-mails presumably from Facebook or someone
impersonating it under name "Kalin". How I can trust my ID to someone
who does not even state a real name. I no longer have access to a
Facebook dashboard referred to in those e-mails.

I wrote to Facebook that I will show any ID in person or Skype, but no
ID will be submitted to be stored in some database, security of which I
am not assured off.

I looked at the Option 2:

        *
Check
        *
Credit card
        *
Employment verification
        * Social Security card
        * Paycheck stub
        * etc

I really wonder legality of such requests.

As per "real name policy", June 30, 2015 Zuckerberg explained: "If your
friends all call you by a nickname and you want to use that name on
Facebook, you should be able to do that."

So I am really confused now. Is Mr. Zuckerberg lying to his users or is
he ignorant of what Faebook staff does.

I don't want my name change on Facebook to be forced upon me. I am also
questioning the legality of mining government IDs of users.

There are zillions fake accounts with no activity on timeline, with no
photos and few friends to harass other people, like myself. Yet, they
get a green light and I get penalized. It is obvious to anyone who would
look at my account, that it is indeed not a fake identity. Why do I need
to submit my credit card or SIN number to prove the opposite. It is
discriminatory and possible illegal.

I think we have a juicy lawsuit emerging here.

I would appreciate if you could communicate this issue up to those who
are responsible for setting up such discriminatory policies.

Thank you,

Inna

On 2015-07-03 8:54 pm, Steve Weis wrote:

> [...]
>> by Putin supporters, since the threats and bullying online were/are
>> abundant.
>>
>> Yesterday, on Canada Day, Facebook blocked my account (obviously following a
>> report from someone who tries to stop my activism) and demanded to confirm
>> my name by submitting my ID online. Instead of ID I submitted a letter
>> saying that I get regular threats and feel rather uncomfortable sending my
>> identification documents via insecure online channels. I did add that I can
>> show them to a legitimate representative or even in Skype, but they can't
>> expect a photocopy of a driving license or social insurance card to be
>> e-mailed or submitted through some suspicious form online.
>>
>> Only last month Facebook has come under fire for biased political blocking
>> of accounts of Russian opposition and Ukrainian activists who are constantly
>> cyber-attacked by the paid army of Putin trolls. The petition, which has
>> already collected close to 15000 signatures, states: "Facebook
>> indiscriminately reacts to these reports by blocking the accounts of
>> prominent Ukrainian public figures and Russian dissenters. Lately, the bans
>> have become so frequent that we can now claim that Facebook has become an
>> efficient tool of the Kremlin."
>> https://www.change.org/p/facebook-stop-political-blocking-on-facebook [1]
>>
>> Facebook "real name" policy has also come under scrutiny multiple times and
>> has been called discriminatory. Petition by performers, which collected over
>> 40000 signatures asserts: "Facebook tells us that "it looks like you're not
>> using your real name," before requiring us to change it. We cannot emphasize
>> enough that Facebook is a poor arbiter of what is or isn't a "real name."
>> Performers with legitimate-appearing names get locked out of their accounts
>> while people with account names like "Jane ICanBeBadAllByMyself Doe" go
>> without scrutiny."
>> https://www.change.org/p/facebook-allow-performers-to-use-their-stage-names-on-their-facebook-accounts
>>  [2] People using aboriginal names were discriminated by Facebook too.
>> http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/facebook-flags-aboriginal-names-as-not-authentic-1.2970993
>>  [3]
>>
>> Just few days back, on June 30, Zuckerberg explained: "If your friends all
>> call you by a nickname and you want to use that name on Facebook, you should
>> be able to do that," he said. In this case, he said, the policy "should be
>> able to support everyone using their own real names, including everyone in
>> the transgender community."
>>
>> So it is not clear anymore, is Zuckerberg lying to Facebook users or is he
>> simply ignorant of what his staff does. WHEN WILL FACEBOOK START TREATING
>> ITS USERS WITH BASIC RESPECT, WHEN WILL IT STOP POLITICAL BLOCKING AND
>> DISCRIMINATION?
>>
>> --
>> Liberationtech is public & archives are searchable on Google. Violations of

Links:
------
[1]
https://www.change.org/p/facebook-stop-political-blocking-on-facebook