Culture is real. It's an aggregate assessment that does not apply to each individual, but culture is often a very clear discriminator on which to base logical "generalizations." Let's look at a politically incorrect example:
Suppose two children are born on the same day. One is raised in an urban black neighborhood in Detroit. The other is raised in a suburban Jewish neighborhood outside Boston. Can you predict which child is likely to be more successful in life? I bet most people will bet on the second child succeeding, and the statistical record is heavily in their favor. The only difference of which we are aware are the comparative cultural environments in which those children are raised. I've told you nothing else about the children in this scenario. Extend this to the many cultures in various nations. As I look around the world, I see a very high correlation of liberty with Judeo-Christian (I.e., Western) culture. I also see a very high correlation of authoritarianism with Islamic culture. Is that racism or merely a statement of facts? The truth cannot be biased or bigoted. It is objectively factual. From: Wendie Slovak Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:47 PM To: [email protected] Subject: [Libertarian] Re: Stop the War FOR Terror No you just need to be constant is all.Also the fact you make sweeping generalizations about a race or races of people is just a bit irritating. Wendie __________________________________________________________ --- In [email protected], "Bob Giramma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > I guess I need to write a 50 page thesis to explain myself, since people keep extrapolating in the wrong direction. > > I don't want the US government to focus on anyone's problems, here or abroad, unless an American is hurt or at credible risk. Then we do what we have to do. > > In another e-mail, I clearly stated my view that most Muslims do not want to harm anyone. It's the Middle East Muslim leaders -- political and religious -- who are the problem. They have really bad leaders in that part of the world, especially the Islamists in the mosques. > > What I will say about Middle East Muslim culture in general is consistent with what Ayn Rand said: Much of it has a primitive and often barbaric value system. How else to explain how backward and uncivilized their societies are? But that is an aggregate assessment, and there are surely millions of individuals who do not fit that description. Indeed, the smart and ambitious ones have moved to the US. > > Not all extremism is bad. I greatly admire the Founding Fathers -- extremists all. > > > From: Wendie Slovak > Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:19 PM > To: [email protected] > Subject: [Libertarian] Re: Stop the War FOR Terror > > > Sure you didn't. It just comes off that way,right? > > Why don't we focus on the problems with our country rather then trying > to fix others.Thats what I don't get. Yes extremist are bad no matter > what religion or race.But that doesn't mean its our job to "fix" it or > them.Again not all people that are of Middle eastern decent are bad or > "evil".Everyone has a mind of there own and is an individual. > > Wendie > > __________________________________________________________ > --- In [email protected], "Bob Giramma" <evil_spock@> wrote: > > > > I didn't propose to go around the world and fix every dysfunction > country -- Muslim or otherwise. I don't care what ideology people > follow, as long as they don't harm me or my property. The problem is > the correlation between ideological obsession and aggression against > others. If ideology leads someone to attack me, then it's worth > noting what that ideology represents. > > > > I want the US government to focus on neutering those individuals, > groups, and nations that present a credible threat to Americans. > Throughout my teens and adult life, there have been numerous attacks > by Middle East terrorists on Americans, with 9/11 being the mother of > all terrorist attacks. These are real threats and must be dealt with. > > > > > > From: ma ni > > Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2008 2:09 AM > > To: [email protected] > > Subject: RE: [Libertarian] Stop the War FOR Terror > > > > > > Bob, > > > > Libertarians are only "good" if they follow consistent > > libertarianism. Your brand of libertarianism is just as bad as > > your "Islamism". It doesn't matter how anti-libertarian any > > ideology is, you can't justifiably annihilate it unless it > > presents a credible threat to you. Simply being a theocratic and > > authoritarian system of government is not sufficient grounds. > > Neither is "spreading their ways in numerous countries". Neither > > is unproven rumors that they "harbor those responsible for > > murdering thousands of Americans". Neither is "using the Koran as > > the basis". > > > > Surely your second paragraph is a joke. > > > > ------------------------- > > > > You say "Muslims" and "Islamic," but note that my opposition is > > towards Islamism -- using the Koran as the basis for a theocratic > > and authoritarian system of government. I'm confident there are > > liberty-loving Muslims out there somewhere, but not among the > > Islamists. > > > > You are using moral relativism, equating Islamism with > > libertarianism. That is fundamentally flawed logic. > > Libertarians are good; Islamists are bad. Got it? Your mother > > was supposed to teach you this stuff. > > > > There are some ideologies that are seriously flawed and > > dangerous. Among those are communism, socialism, fascism, > > feudalism, and Islamism. Would I be falling for the boogeyman > > stories if communism or fascism were growing worldwide, and I > > worried about it? Would a growing Christian theocracy concern > > you? > > > > As a libertarian, I DO believe my libertarian values are good, > > and I DO believe that anything that benefits liberty is good. I > > can distinguish good ideologies from bad. If Islamists kept to > > their own little authoritarian outpost in Waziristan, I would > > have no concern. But when those same Islamists spread their ways > > in numerous countries, and harbor those responsible for murdering > > thousands of Americans, then I can no longer ignore them. > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
