On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 08:29:01PM +0100, James Mansion wrote:
> Nick Mathewson wrote:
> >"A private type"?  What kind of thing do you mean here?
> >
> The struct just has a couple of integer fields and won't vary by
> platform, so
> having a libevent struct that can be converted is probably easy enough.
>
> All we really need is something that represents a time with a big enough
> range and a decent resolution - I don't think a 'struct timeval' really
> needs
> to be in the interface.

Replacing timeval is probably a non-starter.  It would be nice to
remote the header dependency on Windows, but in order to remove struct
timeval from all Libevent interfaces, we'd have to break backward API
compatibility with all existing Libevent applications, which would
probably not make us any friends.

> >OTHER QUESTIONS:
> >
> >Q1:
> >
> >It sounds like you're winding up with project files that are better
> >than the ones we have.  Is that so?  Should we ship yours instead?
> >

> All I did was open in VS2008 Express and let it convert them.  Well, and
> a couple of tweaks to the include paths etc.  I got the impression that
> there
> was some surgery going on for the directory structures etc.
> >(I'd try to reproduce your changes, but I always screw up Visual
> >Studio stuff whenever I touch it, and wind up making changes only to
> >the debug build, or adding absolute paths by mistake, or stuff like
> >that.)
> >
> Well, I do too.  I tend to use the IDE for debugging and development
> only.  Its why I'd
> suggest looking at cmake or something else.

Yeah; I may have acted too dismissively to cmake initially.  I think
it would be a mistake to _replace_ our autotools stuff with cmake in a
2.0.x timeframe, but if cmake is the best way to produce project files
that make VS people happy, I'd be fine using cmake for that.

[...]
> If you are more comfortable with make, why not just use nmake?  Its not
> as if this is a
> very complex project structure.

Sure, nmake would be fine too.  I'd love to include a good nmake file
if anybody writes one.

--
Nick