On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 01:50:43PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 09/30/22 13:01, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>
> > ... meant to add: this has proved Daniel's point that the WM is
> > extremely important. For the record, I use IceWM locally, so when I
> > run virt-p2v "directly", on my workstation, and forward X11 over SSH,
> > the reason for me seeing the spinner in the GTK3 build *may be* that I
> > use IceWM locally. It's possible that, if I used metacity locally, the
> > spinner would not work for me even in this X11-over-SSH setup.
> >
> > Also I reckon Rich does not use metacity -- originally a gtk2-based
> > window manager -- on his laptop, but the gnome shell. gnome shell
> > could similarly eliminate the issue. (Assuming we agree that the issue
> > is *in* metacity.)
>
> So, for Rich, the spinner works, when metacity comes from Fedora 36.
>
> Considering Koji:
>
>   https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=143
>
> Fedora 35 is based on upstream metacity 3.42.0, while Fedora 36 is on
> 3.44.0:
>
>   https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1853336
>   https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1936492
>
> (I've checked in the VM disk image -- it indeed contains
> "metacity-3.42.0-1.fc35".)
>
> Now, the upstream commit range between 3.42.0 and 3.44.0 is really
> small:
>
>   1  ba192a82b2e9 revert "ci: use ubuntu 21.04 image"
>   2  1e0b9611551b Update Croatian translation
>   3  503fca976051 Update Croatian translation
>   4  9ed3b103f6ad bump version to 3.43.1, update NEWS
>   5  1b052f6f8675 build: remove obsolete macros
>   6  b3ca2a83da79 bump version to 3.44.0, update NEWS
>
> And the fedora package contains no downstream patches AFAICT.
>
> So this does not explain why metacity works, when Rich builds the VM
> disk image from Fedora 36 :/

Does  librsvg2  exist in both cases - there could be a different
dependancy chain resulting in it not being installed in some cases.

Having looked at the for p2v and gtk, I don't think window manager
will affect the spinner, except by way of an indirect accident
such as changed install deps.

With regards,
Daniel