> Maybe my suggestion wasn't clear. I know about the "twice a year" release
> branches. My suggestion was exactly to delay the second release of the year
> so that developers could have more time to dedicate to a single branch (of
> course they could always submit new features to the Master branch)
>
> Looking at this chart
> <http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4167378/LO_release_life_cycle.png>
>

> you will notice that there are very few times when developers are working on
> a single branch. In fact most of the times they are working on 3 branches
> simultaneously and therefore the constant "rush before release" that Sophie
> mentions.
>
> My suggestion was (as an example) to branch 5.2 later in the year (e.g. in
> late October) so that there is 3-4 months to dedicate to 5.1 and therefore
> have time to reduce the backlog of confirmed bugs (and even for QA people to
> bisect some bugs without having to worry about testing a new branch).
>
> My other suggestion was for TDF to organize a Bug Squashing Session during
> this period.
>
> Therefore this does not change the Timed release logic, it just spaces it a
> bit to allow time for bug fixing...
Nothing prevents developers now to dedicate 100% of their time to
regression squashing between major releases....A developer could have
(by choice) focused entirely on new features for 5.0, and entirely on
regression for 5.1. The fact that they did not implies that as
volunteers, that wasn't of any interest to them. I'm not seeing what
exactly you're proposing anyone do. Do you want TDF to lock LibreOffice
every other major release and say "absolutely no new features or bug
squashing, only regression fixing?" I think you have a misunderstanding
of the relationship that the Document Foundation (entity) has with it's
contributors (volunteers).

Again, nothing is preventing you from reaching out and trying to recruit
developers to focus on regressions.

Best,
Joel