> I just find that "drop it because it is old" is not enough reason to
> drop 10.4 support.

Yeah, I see your point.

I guess a good enough reason to drop it would be this hypothetical (but, I
guess, quite possible) situation, or something similar: Some volunteer wants to
contribute code that makes LibreOffice integrate nicely with Lion's document
versioning etc. Using those features requires compiling with the compiler from
Xcode 4(.1) (even if one would look up and use the API in question
dynamically), thanks to the use of blocks
(http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Blocks/Articles/00_Introduction.html
 ) or whatever, and that compiler is not capable of compiling against the 10.4
SDK. And mixing compilers wouldn't work either.

How likely is it that something like that would happen? I guess we won't know
for sure until somebody actually starts hacking on the MacOSX code to make it
use (optionally at run-time) up-to-date features of the OS...

--tml