Hi Norbert, *,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthieb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> <lohmaier+libreoff...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> regarding the default see the other posts.
>>
>> just regarding
>> -MACDEVSDK*=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
>> +MACDEVSDK*=$(MACSDK_PATH)
>>
>> time to get rid of that from the external modules. That is basically a
>> hack for Hamburg's non-configure based environment.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. that variable is used in external module,
> in gbuild and in 'dmake' to set -isysroot to the proper value.

It is pointless to set something, but only when it is not already set
in individual makefiles, when the stuff is used globally anyway.

If you have a variable MACSDK_PATH anyway, there is no point in having
an additional  MACDEVSDK variable whose only purpose is to take the
value of MACSDK_PATH, but only if MACDEVSDK has not been defined
already.
It never will be defined already or it always will. But as there is a
variable with that same value already, just use the real thing.

> (right now, gbuld for instance, hard-code MacOS10.4u.sdk)
> How do you suggest we do that ?

define it in solenv or as your initial patch adds an environment
variable, use that environment variable instead.

>> (same for the .IF "$(SYSBASE)"!="" checks in various makefiles)
>
> Agreed. There is no reason to worry about SYSBASE != /Developer/SDKs
> and if someone installed a SDK at a non-standard location, they can
> always ln -s it

Or override the "one and only" variable.

>> get rid of that special treatment in the individual modules' makefiles.
>>
>> And probably a switch --with-macosx-deployment-target would be more
>> appropriate/consistent
>
> ok but not instead of but in addition to --with-mac-sdk (or
> --with-macosx-sdk if you prefer)

No, I thought of instead, at least since your switch would not accept
a target-path, but a version identifier.

> because you can build with a sdk 10.6 and a deployment-target of 10.4
> (at least that is how I understood the <AvailabilityMacros.h> )

Yes, in theory, but see my other post, or look at the apple developer
lists. That it only works in theory is the reason why people also
prefer to keep using the 3.2.6 SDK even on system where you could be
using the newer 4.x ones.

ciao
Christian