Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:35:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: "=?iso-8859-1?q?Jacques=20D'Hondt?=" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crashed keyboard by installing a 9.5 height HDD

Hi,

First a little correction :
The dead keys are F6, F7, 6, 7, Y, U, H, J, N, M,
(AltGr and INS are working).

I have completely open my lib 110 and better
understand now what's probably happen.
On the board size, the HDD slides on two rails placed
under a black plastic sheet who protects the logic
board.
One of these rail (this on the back side of the lib)
is in metal, but the other (on the middle side of the
lib) is in a grey plastic. I can see some marks on it
due to the pressure caused by the too high HDD.
I can also see that there are some electrical lines
beneath it.
The problem is probably there, but unfortunately this
plastic rail cannot be easely (or not at all) removed
: it is solidely stick, perhaps even soldered, on the
logic board.

Thus, for all of you who want to place some bigger
than 8.5 mm HDD, I greatly advocate to remove
something (but certainly not the plastic protection
sheet put on the logic board side).
In fact, that's not the plastic sheets who pose
problems (they are too thin).

The solution is on the cover plate of the lib.
On the HDD side, you'll find also a thin black plastic
sheet. The "problem" is underneath it and take the
form of three little green pieces of plastic foam of
almost 1mm height each.
I think that remove it all definitively push back
further problem.

BTW, on the IBM site, I have found that the given
height of disk are subject to some tolerance.
Concerning the DARA-212000 it can be as height as 9.7
mm. I have measure mine with a palmer AND it has
effectively 9.7 mm
All this misfortune probably for these extras 0.2 mm !

You are now warned.



--- Jacques D'Hondt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a �crit:
> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 07:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "=?iso-8859-1?q?Jacques=20D'Hondt?="
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: I have crashed my keyboard by installing a
> 9.5 height HDD
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> I have make a lot of tests to find the better
> solution
> for me to upgrade my original's Toshiba HDD in both
> my
> Lib 100 and 110 (I'll posted the method's and
> results
> here later)
> 
> I have placed a 6GB Fujitsu (9.5 mm height) without
> any problem in my Lib 100 (very good HDD and the
> fastest I have try)
> 
> Then, I have placed a 12GB IBM (DARA-212000, 9.5 mm
> height) in my Lib 110.
> At the beginning, I have not seen any problem.
> But, because of mutiple tests (Formatting with Disk
> Manager, Partition Magic, etc...) I have put in and
> out the HDD three or four times (the IBM enter with
> more difficulty than the Fujitsu).
> And suddenly, I have loose access to some keys on
> the
> built-in lib keyboard. 
> These keys are on two adjacent columns, physically
> just at the right end edge of the HDD.
> Here are the dead keys : F6, F7, 6, 7, Y, U, H, J,
> N,
> M, AltGr, INS.
> 
> Unfortunately the keyboard itself is OK (I have
> switch
> it with this of my Lib 100).
> I presume thus that there is an internal damaged
> connector or soldering and I am afraid that I am now
> forced to return this lib at a repair center.
> 
> Any ideas or analog problem ?


=====
Jacques D'Hondt - Brussels - Belgium

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send online invitations with Yahoo! Invites.
http://invites.yahoo.com




**************************************************************
http://libretto.basiclink.com - Libretto mailing list                
http://libretto.basiclink.com/archive - Archives
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/faq.html - FAQ         
                 -------UNSUBSCRIBE-------                            
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=cmd:unsubscribe 
            --------UNSUBSCRIBE DIGEST------
Use above but add DIGEST to the subject line...                           
**************************************************************

Reply via email to