Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:46:17 -0500
From: "mda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Enhanced docking port

Hi Karen -

Have enjoyed reading your posts on the libretto list over the last few
weeks.  Sorry to hear your lib gets hot on the enhanced replicator.  Mine
stays a lot cooler now that i'm using the pcmcia fan.  I'm wondering....have
you ever had a thermal shutdown?  Mine used to shut down a couple times a
day because it got too hot.  I should have taken it more seriously...after
6-9 months of that, the motherboard died. You are wise to watch how hot the
libretto gets.  Bought another libretto and have only used it WITH the fan.
I always use the libretto with the enhanced replicator and it has NEVER had
a thermal shutdown :).

It sounds like you may not be using all the functionality of the enhanced
replicator.  I use ALL the connectors on the back of mine....at two
locations, home and work.  It makes the lib powerful and convenient.  And
keeps the heat of  the modem or network card farther away from my cpu.

You had another post that asked how David gets his libretto to shut down
without the power saver functions installed.  Personally, i uninstalled all
power saving software on my machine.  I was losing my network connection
every time i went into suspend mode.  Then i'd have to shut down all my
applications and log onto the network again.  Was a real pain.  My libretto
has always shut down automatically from the windows menu without using the
power button.  ...yours should be able to do that, too....

Before i was blessed with the lib, i to lug around a compaq.  There were
several times that I.T. professionals "upgraded" my machine and made it hang
every time i tried to shut down.  It always took an afternoon and a couple
glasses of brandy to figure out which driver was hanging the machine.  Once
fixed, it always shut down successfully.  Yours can, too.

--mda