Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:39:36 -0500
From: "Ken Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Overseas access and a great deal on a Portege laptop...

My ISP (Verizon) does not have any access outside their area.

A 1-800 number will cost me $1+/minute for the call off the island
(remember, this is another country, not another state), and I don't think
1-800 calls work from overseas...

Oh, and about those Porteges - if you throw an 802.11b wirless network card
in one, the need for a CD-ROM drive diminishes quickly. If you rip your
records to MP3 format, the need is gone (for me anyway).

I decided to buy one, and I am glad I did now - they no longer have 96 Meg
RAM models, only 32 Meg ones for $549... When I return from my vacation I
will be selling my L50 kit, which consists of:

    L50 w/32 Meg RAM, 3.2 Gig upgrade HD, Std. battery,
        AC adpater, mini port replicator, floppy
    Extended life battery
    Enhanced port replicator
    Original packaging/manuals/and a whole lot of diskettes (Win95, drivers,
etc.)

The unit is very, very clean,a nd if anyone would like to make a private
cash offer I would be happy to review them upon my return.

Thanks,

Ken