Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:29:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Request for Comments from All Memebers: List problems

> We had an interruption in the list traffic at [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
> These messages about the problem were sent without the benefit of the mailing
> list
> to a small number of list members. I am re-sending them to the whole list for
> comment.
>
> I did not notice any problems with that. Any different opinions?
> I have already created a Libretto list there about one year ago
> during an earlier blackout of the BasicLink list.

  There are no 100% guarenteed delivery mechanisms for the Internet.  Also, the
servers and connection in between the host and the receiving PC may also fail -
eg. cut optical fiber, relaying servers down, etc.

  Thus, brief interruptions will occur regardless of the host used, whether it
be Basiclink or Yahoo.  Repeated/frequent outtages are another matter.

  The move to another host should be carefully considered.  As one example,
Yahoo! Groups currently does not allow mass export of the list archives, and
although they do have a search engine for prior posts, they do not guarentee
the length of the archives nor the archives themselves.  While there are ways
of archiving the lists elsewhere through email gateways, this is an example
where migration would need to be setup with such an additional element in mind.

  It would be interesting to hear how many of the list members have experienced
interruptions in service, as well as what kind of interruptions they were.  If
Daniel is listening, it would be interesting to know how many members are on
this list as well.

  If a significant number of members are experiencing transmission problems on
a recurring or frequent basis, then it would make sense to take additional
steps towards the migration of this list.

  Everyone is free to start up their own "Libretto List" independently of this
one and to create their own mailing list(s)/group(s) at any time for any
reason, just as many Japanese have done so in Japan with their own Japanese
Libretto Mailing Lists.  (Of course, what would be really useful is if there
was a translating email gateway between their list and ours! They've got lots
of juicy information burried in their Japaneses posts and FAQs.)

  Let us all know either way!

  David =)

=====
adorable toshiba libretto
The latest news and information for the Toshiba Libretto owner.
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/

http://auctions.yahoo.com/