Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 04:37:12 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Re: Hibernate under windows 98

>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:50:04 EDT
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>In a message dated 4/23/2002 1:37:07 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >  Hey Lee,
> >
> >  Do you know what effect the options in the 'Power up-mode' options >
>have:
> >
> >  1. 'Powerup = boot'
> >  2. 'Powerup = hibernate' 'Standby = 30 minutes' [or 45, or 60]
> >  3. 'Powerup = hibernate' 'Standby = no limit'
> >
> >  Specifically, will option #3 let Windows power management let me >  set
>the amount of idle time until it puts the system into standy, >  and then
>keep the system ready to come back on relatively >  instantly when the
>power button is pressed?
> >
> >  The way things are on my system now, BIOS is set to 'Powerup = >
>boot', and when Windows power management puts the system into >  Standby,
>the system sits in Standby for 10-20 minutes, and then >  hibernates.  At
>that point it takes a bit longer to wake up and >  write data back to RAM.

>Hey, give me a break, I was ecstatic to just get the thing to hibernate
>reliably in W98se!  I am away from my Lib (workin' for a livin') and cannot
>reference the BIOS setup, but...are you talking about a L100/110 or a
>L50/70?
>  I believe the boot options for hibernate/standby are different in the 2
>series (I have a L100), but could be wrong. I can check later if you'd
>like.

Well, I've been lucky, never having had problems with the hibernate/standby
settings on my L50 or L70 on multiple reloads of Windows OSs that other
have.  But from the nightmares other's have reported, I've always been leary
about taking any deviations from my proven methods in installing and setting
up the Windows and Toshiba power saving drivers.

So since I've not been getting feedback... I went ahead and set BIOS to
'Powerup = hibernate' & 'Standby = no limit' as an experiement.  Shutting
down the system from Start > Shutdown > Standby put the system in a
limitless state of standby without actually shutting down power entirely and
losing data in RAM.

The system woke up fast this way hours later, but I noticed a couple things.
  The setting in BIOS didn't stick.  It's back to 'Powerup = boot', but
selecting 'Standby' from the Shutdown Windows window still puts the system
into an endless state of standby.  A case of Windows overriding BIOS I
guess.

I hope I haven't screwed up things now, and won't find the problems others
have reported.  I was hoping to hear from someone who'd experimented with
all this.

I've set Windows power management back to 'Always On' for AC and battery.
With 'Powerup = boot' reset in BIOS, I'm hoping things will go back the way
they were.

Matt