Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 02:32:53 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [LIB] Wireless yada-yada

In a message dated 1/15/2003 5:53:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I just know some of you out there
> have the killer setup - share it with us!
>
> Chester

So far i've found the Orinoco cards the best. They were made by Lucent
before, but know their owned by Proxim. Regardless, they are one of the best
cards out there available to the consumer. The price range absolutely varies!
The Dell Truemobile 1150 (what I use) is a Orinoco Gold card rebadged with
Dell. IBM has a card out there too, but I forgot the specifics. I think the
Gold cards sell under $70 on ecost.com. The Orinoco Gold cards basically have
a external antenna jack that allows you to further amplify it's signal with
an antenna. I use to use the D-link 650 except mine came with a PCI adapter,
but I only used the card in the laptop. The PCI adapter is basically a Ricoh
PCMCIA adapter that works with anything PCMCIA cardbus.  The card fluctuated
alot more than the Orinoco, but i've seen a modification of this card but
it's fair too risky and costly for me. http://alan.clegg.com/802/dwl.html

Basically, we're talking about 802.11b stuff here. I haven't touched any "a"
stuff and am only familiar with "b". The brands of routers out there are
mostly compatible with everything 802.11b if thats what the router was made
for. I've been able to get on linksys, SMC and D-link routers with my Orinoco
Gold card. As for 11mb vs. 22mb, I rarely deal with file transfers through my
wireless router since it was very unstable with the D-link card and SMC
router. I basically hardwire my stuff to the router and then i'll probably
get 22mb transfer rates.

William