Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 00:57:26 +0000
From: "Matt Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 50/70 plug dimensions part# needed

From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I know it's cheating but I've had no problems plugging the L50/70 power
supply (actually it's the same as several other Toshiba 15 volt plugs such
as the Portege) into a chassis mount 2.5mm DC power socket (the Libretto
plug seems to be a standard 3.1mm (inner diameter) DC plug you can get from
your average electronics enthusiast store such as
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP0513&CATID=35&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=651,

Okay... that page gives what would seem the correct size for the equivalent on the Tosh AC adapter: 3.1mm(ID) x 6.3mm(OD) x 10mm shaft length

That may settle the specification question for the connector on one side (AC adapter cable side). From what I see on Xin's wesbite (http://www.fixup.net/tips/battery/battery.htm) He's talking about "6.3/3.0 mm coaxial power plugs" on a Radio Shack cable.. so 3.1mm is darned close. ;-P

or at least I've been using a standard 3.1mm plug first with my L50 and now
with my Portege 7220CTe when I was tapping the power line for running other
things and it's had no problems ... funny how they sell the plug but not
the socket).

Well, I can follow the Shogyo catalog from ( http://shogyo.com/listtypes.html?tablename=dcpower ) and find this:

http://shogyo.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=dcpower&itemnum=MJ-078N

But like all other sites I've found, it only specifies the 2.5mm pin size. I'm guessing they're assuming a 5.5mm or 6mm i.d. for the hole. This beacuse I've come up with specs of 2.5mm x 5.5mm for a lot of similar coaxial connectors.

I also see this there:

http://shogyo.com/results.html?search_type_no=656&tablename=dcpower&family=DC+Power+Jacks

It >looks< good, but not the specs for sizes they list.

The type I'm talking about is the open frame type as in
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS0518&CATID=35&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=651
... you might need to squeeze the 'spring' contact a little with a pair of
pliers first and after you use it with a 3.1mm plug it probably won't hold
a 2.5mm plug very well but it works a treat!

I'm confused. The spring there looks like it'd be able to hit the outside edge of the 6.3mm o.d. of the standard 50/70 power adapter. It already >has< a 2.5mm male shaft in the center. What would bending the spring do? I'm missing something.

P.S. As for tapping into L100/110 supplies (and some of the Porteges like
the 3110), I find a standard 2-pin header (the sort you put jumper caps on
in computers) works nicely if you cut about 1.5mm off the ends (and for
plugging into the computer side, a 2 pin header plug filed down on the
sides and with a little bit of plastic superglued to provide a polarity key
works real nicely.

I'm a bit lost there too.

P.S.S. All this I'm assuming you're actually looking for the male connector
(the computer side) and not the female connector (the power supply side)?

Funny trying to apply the terms 'male and 'female' to sets of matching connectors that have both male and female components. But yes, the computer side connector is what I'm after it. Ive been calling it 'male', as from what I see, I stick the plug on the end of the AC power adapter >into< it, and not the other way around. But how can you use this reasoning with something androgynous??? :-D

Especially with concentric or jacketed connectors it can get a little
ambiguous but I find a general rule of thumb that you look for the smallest
pin or hole in a concentric connector, if it's a pin it's male and if it's
a hole it's female.

Ah so... now we're getting into the subject of absolute/dualist logic vs. relativistic/quantum logic! Where's my I Ching?

Matt