Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 01:07:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] echo indigo

--- Stefan Katletz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> my 50ct is mostly running linux (debian sarge,
> though there is still a
> win98se installation lying around). I don't use X
> for mp3 playing, just
> text console and mp3blaster. But that takes most of
> the resources, doing
> anything else creates clicks/white noise (even
> though I overclocked it
> to 100MHz).

That was my experience with Linux... tho' Neil did get
Mandrake set up on my 50 so that I could play MP3s in
the iceman X shell relatively well.  iceman probably
drew as few resources as I'd guess an X shell can
manage.  But the Windows virtual memory managment in
Win98 on the 50 did a better job.  Still it was only
incrementally better.  I could really only multitask
with simple programs like Notepad and Wordpad without
the MP3 playback dropping out.

> >digital music does not sound that good no matter
> >how you play it back.
> >

> I can't complain about the quality, if you don't use
> the internal  speaker :-).

I think John is referring to the old school audiophile
beef with digital\CD\semiconductor audio playback vs.
analog\vinyl\tube based audio.  Right John, or not?

> Therefore I use a little FM radio
> transmitter connected to the headphone jack.

I had an IRock from Radio Shack that died a while
back.  It only broadcast on 4 frequencies at the
bottom of the FM band.  There's one out now that
broadcasts across the FM band.  Is that what you have
Stefan?

> and I can put the libby
> anywhere my little kid can't play with it...

Heh... never thought of that.  Quite the plus!

Are you, or is anyone else with Linux on their Libby
aware of Windows emulation called WINE?  I was reading
through the Hydrogen forums and found where, while
there is no Linux based version of the excellect
Foobar2000 audio freeware, people have gotten the
Windows based player working on their Linux OS based
systems via WINE.

I'd be really interested in hearing whether or not
Linux on any of the Libs could power both WINE and
Foobar2000.

Here's the main thread on the topic that's been
running for a year and a half over at the Hydrogen
forums:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6600&hl=wine,and,linux

Matt