Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:06:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] echo indigo

--- John Musielewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > That was my experience with Linux... tho' Neil did
> > get
> > Mandrake set up on my 50 so that I could play MP3s
> > in
> > the iceman X shell relatively well.  iceman
> probably
> > drew as few resources as I'd guess an X shell can
> > manage.  But the Windows virtual memory managment
> in
> > Win98 on the 50 did a better job.  Still it was
> only
> > incrementally better.  I could really only
> multitask
> > with simple programs like Notepad and Wordpad
> > without
> > the MP3 playback dropping out.
>
> why would you use virual memory in linux to play
> mp3's?

Never suggested or considered it.  I haven't done much
with Linux in a few years.  I was referring to
Windows, and how much better it does at managing
virtual memory than DOS.  I assume gamers have tweaked
MS-DOS memory, but I don't know much there.  I just
know that Scandisk running in DOS after a crash as
it's set up by default is incredibly slow, and I
learned many years back to skip it in DOS, and do it
in Windows.

> what you need to do is make a 4-10 meg ramdisk
> and play the mp3s off that if you want to use vm.
> otherwise just reserve enough memory as a cache to
> play them. make sure you use a player that will do
> that. the nice thing about linux is memory is
> properly
> used so the operating system is not taking it all to
> run. that means everything runs much faster plus you
> can run more programs simutaneously than you can
> under windows.

Well... again, I was referring to Windows and Linux on
a 50CT.  Don't know if what you suggest would have
improved audio playback in the Mandrake installation
Neil was tweaking back then or not.

> > > I can't complain about the quality, if you don't
> > > use the internal  speaker :-).
> >
> > I think John is referring to the old school
> > audiophile
> > beef with digital\CD\semiconductor audio playback
> > vs. analog\vinyl\tube based audio.  Right John, or
> > not?

> close:) but no. I always compare to live. if it
> don't sound live I don't like it:)!!

A person go totally insane trying to set systems up to
reproduce live music.  I've seen audiophiles go
through it.  Once sound goes into a microphone, it's
already lost it's original wave form.  Everything
after that just adds to coloring.  There's a school of
audiophiles that insist on systems with as few passive
components as posssible between input and output, no
EQ at all to keep the original wave form as true as
possible.  But still in the end, it's all very
subjective, and varies with people's ears themselves.
And all anyone can do is set up whatever they want
that makes them happy with what they're hearing.

> (WINE)
>
> yes -- tried it but couldn't get it to work -- its a
> toughy to get going. I think my problem is I didn't
> compile X or WINE properly. But judging from other
> emulators that run under linux it should be at least
> as fast as windows if not faster.

Hmmm.... Neil??

 > > I'd be really interested in hearing whether or
not
> > Linux on any of the Libs could power both WINE and
> > Foobar2000.
>
> what's foobar?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=foobar2000

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=SF&s=7ef440e5d85c0b98eb2a243aa136689f&f=28

Just curious what you paid for your Echo Indigo John?
The basic model without recording was about $129 last
time I checked.  The best deal I could find on an Echo
I/O was $169I think.

Matt