Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:41:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] echo indigo

--- Stefan Katletz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> with which program did you play the mp3's? if you
> really want to use X,
> I'd go for freeamp. Very resource friendly. But
> still I prefer
> text/console without any Xserver, saves a lot of
> memory for caching.

Well... I'm kind of locked into a few components for
MP3 players that I can't seem to find in many.

ReplyGain is a must for me.  It averages out the
playback volume intelligently so tracks from different
CDs are played back at relatively the same volume.

Gapless playback is another must for those CDs with
tracks where the audio continues from one track to the
next. All MP3 players without it stop for a second or
two, ruining the flow of the music.

And then I need a good EQ, as I'm continually
adjusting it to make up for the low tech (cheap) audio
equipment I've got.  I know a lot of audiophiles will
have nothing to do with any type of EQ at all... But
then they generally have $20,000 and up audio systems.

> >I think John is referring to the old school
> audiophile
> >beef with digital\CD\semiconductor audio playback
> vs.
> >analog\vinyl\tube based audio.  Right John, or not?
> >

> Uooh, that's hot topic ;-). And I'm not really
> qualified for this since
> I lack the >10k $/EUR hifi equipment (both
> semiconductor and tube).

Okay... $10K is a starting point I guess... ;-P

http://www.broadcastwarehouse.com/p/BW/FM-Transmitters/LineX-FM-transmitter?pid=136

> I bought it off ebay, it has got 3 dip switches, but
> can only transmit
> on 7 frequencies. No problems so far with it, and
> the sound quality is
> quite good - much better than when connecting the
> libby directly to the
> line-in of my amplifier.

Can't find info in my notes on the one I was looking
at last year.  But this one I found posted on the NEX
II MP3 player website looks really nice:

Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2062&pcount=&Product_Id=166893

Broadcasts all across the FM band.

> Never really ventured into WINE land, I tried it a
> couple of times on my
> desktop (unsuccessfully). From the little experience
> I had I would say
> it's a nogo on a 50ct (it draws quite some CPU).
> Anyone with experience
> on a 110ct?

>From Neil's comments, I'm now wondering if a 110 could
handle it.