Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:05:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] When EZ-Drive is a >must< for W98 * W2K installations

Hey Philip... Have read through yours and John's replies and have archived
them for reference.  Will be very busy for the next few days, so I'm not
sure if I'll get some time to do much experimentation more than getting
access to W2K again.

But quick... with the 256 LFN thing...  I still think there may be an issue
there.  I know I'm >supposed< to have 256 character supportin W98, but even
before this recent partition change and installing W2K to dual-boot with
W98, I was having problems with W98 and LFNs.  I'd rip a CD with EAC (Exact
Audio Copy) with tag info from the free CDDA, and, esp. classical music,
end up with file names above the ~110 - 120 (?) character limit that up to
recently Nero couldn't burn to CD-R.  Though the Nero issue is an entirely
different file system issue.  Aside from Nero though, W98 would balk at
moving the ripped files from the rip folder to the classical sub-folder in
my main MP3 folder.  I'd have to shorten the file names down to, I think it
was below 110-112 (can't remember excatly, but it was around there) before
W98 would even let me move them.  So something was going on there that
challanged the 256 character thing for some reason, and may have
coontributed to my recent problems.... no se.

As for partitioning and formatting, I did that with Partition Magic in DOS
with the drive set up in my desktop.  So I didn't think there shouldn't
have been any issues there, as the desktop hasn't had any Int13ext problems
to my knowledge in the past.  Tho' I did first install W98 onto the 1st
primary partition C: from the \Win98 files\folder on a E: partition, and
then W2K on the 1st of 4 logical drives from \i386 on E:.  The partitions
look like this:

C: 1st primary FAT32  3GB <W98 had plenty of virtual memory area.
   Extended          37GB
D: 1st logical FAT32  2.5GB <W2K
E: 2nd logical FAT32  1GB <Data
F: 3rd logical FAT32  1.5GB <W2K to slim down, never used yet
   ~64MB < Empty at 8GB on cyls 1016-1027 that have always worked
G: 4th logical FAT32 30GB <MP3 and general data

There was the thing with W98 seeing the last drive as G:, and W2K's Disk
Management changing the drive letter to E: so MP3 M3U playlists could find
the MP3s previously set to E:.  But when scandisk found "problems" that
didn't exist with chkdsk on W2K, and the file names scandisk reported were
in fact MP3 file names that live on that last 30GB partition.

Ciao for now,

Matt