Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:08:10 +0100
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] When EZ-Drive is a >must< for W98 * W2K installations

Matt Hanson wrote:

> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:40:52 -0800 (PST)
> From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] When EZ-Drive is a >must< for W98 * W2K installations
>
> --- Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > But FAT32 partitions in the extended partition beyond 8 GB need to be
> > type 0c ("Win95 FAT32 LBA" in Linux terms) rather than 0b (plain
> > "FAT32"). I've had lots of trouble when I did not obey this rule. I saw
> > your FAT32 partitions were 0b. I think this might be the cause of your
> > W98 scandisk problems.
> > If PM made these partitions (-types) I'd definitely dump it.
>
> Yeah... PM made those while I had the the HDD was in the desktop to get
> around the Libby's Int13 extensions problem.  The reason I keep using PM is
> because it's the only thing I have that can perform certain tasks like
> moving and resizing partitions, and converting partitions from one type to
> another.  However I don't see where it'd be able to convert a type 0b
> partition to 0c

I think you can use Ranish Partition Editor for that,
http://www.ranish.com/part/
Perhaps Ranish is even better than PM, I've never tried either of them.
I use Linux cfdisk for these sort of things, or an old (ancient) copy of
Norton Disk doctor.

> Is there something available free that can either create or convert
> existing logical 0b partitions to 0c?  The Ranish Partition Manager
> perhaps?

Yes, see above.
I think using Win2K to make these partitions will yield 0c types by
default > 8 GB.

<rest snipped>

Philip