Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:38:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] When EZ-Drive is a >must< for W98 * W2K installations

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win9x/lfn_4je5.asp
> it says that the leading path may be only 246 chars long. I suppose you
> simply can't create longer paths in Windows?

Aaaahhhh...  "..leading path.."  ... How're these for a couple of long
leading paths:

G:\My MP3s\Classical Vocal\Societa Cameristica di Lugano - Nicola Jommelli
ğLa Passione di CristoĞ\Societa Cameristica di Lugano - Jommelli ğLa
Passione di Nostro Signore Gesu CristoĞ CD2-2 - 03 - Recit. Pietro,
Giuseppe, Maddalena, Giovanni.mp3

G:\My MP3s\Classical - Instrumental\Julian Bream - Julian Bream, The
Ultimate Guitar Collection, Vol. 2\Julian Bream - Julian Bream, The
Ultimate Guitar Collection, Vol. 2 - 07 - Handel- Concerto in B Flat 2
Lutes Strings & Recorders -Allegro.mp3

Though they come from Free CDDA a >lot< longer and with forbidden MS-DOS
characters from people using other OSs.  I have to do a lot of editing on
classical CDs to pleeze MS.

Now that I look at my MP3 files and count characters, it seems they indeed
have leading paths less than 246 chars long.  I guess the problems I've had
in the past moving ripped MP3s in x:\Rips to the x:\My MP3s\xxxxxx\xxxxx
folders was the deal with the total # of characters in the "leading path" b
eing too many.

There's still the phenomenon of my C: partition getting blown to pieces by
trying to move folders of MP3s from the <8GB E: data partition to the >8GB
G: partition, and all the screwey program characters W98 on C was seeing.
And how installing DO fixed the problem.

As for PM....

> > C: 1st primary FAT32  3GB <W98 had plenty of virtual memory area.
> >    Extended          37GB
> > D: 1st logical FAT32  2.5GB <W2K
> > E: 2nd logical FAT32  1GB <Data
> > F: 3rd logical FAT32  1.5GB <W2K to slim down, never used yet
> >    ~64MB < Empty at 8GB on cyls 1016-1027 that have always worked
> > G: 4th logical FAT32 30GB <MP3 and general data
> >
> > There was the thing with W98 seeing the last drive as G:, and W2K's
> Disk Management changing the drive letter to E: so MP3 M3U playlists
could
> find the MP3s previously set to E:.  But when scandisk found "problems"
> > that didn't exist with chkdsk on W2K, and the file names scandisk
> > reported were in fact MP3 file names that live on that last 30GB
> > partition.
>
> Win2K may have reset its drive letters in the mean time, causing it to
> see no problems on the faulty partitions.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.  I've had my eye on the partitions
pretty closely.  W2K didn't reset that G: drive with the MP3s on it to E:
on it's own.  I did that manually in Disk Management so Winamp could use
its old M3U playlist files.  And when I ran chkdsk, I used 2 methods, and
in both was able to confirm it was the MP3 partition beforehand:

1. Right-click on E: drive icon in W2K's Windows Explorer > Properties >
Tools > Error checking > Check now > no auto-fix or bad sector check option
boxes checked > Start

2. Boot to Recovery Console > run 'set allowallpaths = true' > E: > Dir
command to confirm the MP3 partition > chkdsk E:

Neither method came up with any errors in the FAT32 file system there.
While scandisk in W98 was going bererk 98% of the time finding broken
chains for folders & files with pragram characters.  Never seen anything
like it back when I was running W98 w/o EZ-Drive there for a while.

> DOS (and thus DOS-based Windows versions - Win9x & Win-ME) have several
> bugs when it comes to (big, especially > 8GB) extended partitions.
> Normal users seldomly hit them, but they do exist. E.g., mixing up drive
> letters if the last logical partition is not FAT is just one of them.
>
> You made the partitions with PM, but you did not say how you formatted
> them. I suspect you used DOS or Win98 (as you installed Win2K from
> E:\i386), that may be a candidate for cause of trouble.

No... I had PM to both create and format the other partitions FAT32 while
the drive was connected to the desktop.  I booted the desktop to XP with
the lib HDD as slave, copied over \Win98 and \i386 to the E: data
partition.  Then unhid the darned hidden "System Volume Information" data
XP leaves there and deleted it.  Stuck the drive in the Lib, booted from a
W98 boot FD, and installed W98 on C: as usual.  Booted W98.  Checked and
tweaked it a bit.  Rebooted from FD and yes, ran 'smartdrv.exe', and
\i386\winnt to install W2K.

I've only just remembered how easy it is just to 'Format C:' from floppy on
the current few experiements re-installing W98 on C:.  But I ended up
restoring a W98 ghost image there which I'm working from now.

There were these two things I was wondering about though with respect to
this whole problem:

1. After getting W98 and W2K set up, I went back and installed W2K on a
small F: partition for tweaking and slimming down at some point later.
When W2K installation finished preparing setup for the 2nd W2K
installation, and presented the 1st installation screen, it reported that
there was a problem with the 1st W2K installation, and gave me the option
to hit 'R' to repair it.  I ignored it, and never had any problems with the
W2K installation after that.

2. I don't know if this could have been a factor, though I doubt it.  I
installed the old Farstone 'Virtual CD' software on both XP and 98 so I
could put the Delorme Street Atlas data CD into a file the systems could
see as a virtual CD drive lettered Z:

> Try to check if the extended partition is type (hex) 0f or 05.

Okay, running PM's partinfo, right off the bat I see I have a problem with
the Win98 OS reporting too few cylinders fot the drive.  4863 instead of
4864.  I still have EZ-Drive installed, but I've not seen that error in the
past with EZ-D when things were working well.

And the extended partition is type 0f.

Attached is the PM partinfo output file if it helps.  Dan's server won't
forward it to the list.

Thx Philip

Matt