Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:53:27 -0800
From: John Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] Toshiba 100GB HD review

As inexpensive as drives have become, I will test one in the Libretto... of
course I don't have another computer that can seed a drive that large I
don't think, but I will upgrade SOMETHING in here soon.  I use Novell for
file sever at home and anyone here who uses it knows there have not been
drive limitations for more than 10 years.  I guess Novell has spoiled me,
as all this crap I have had to deal with for years relative to various
drive issues seems ridiculous.   Novell is what I work with mostly.  It has
been able to deal with terabyte drive arrays since version 4.1X in about
1994.  Mirrored, Striped, Duplexed, spanning as many drives as hardware
would support and I have never had it choke.  The file server at one
location I maintain has 6 physical Data Drives with one volume.  They are
striped across three (for speed) and duplexed to the other three (for
active redundancy).  I realize the stability (of Novell) in this area of
drives is because of File Server designs dealing with drive volumes
spanning multiple drives of course... much different than what is expected
of a PC, but Windows has always been behind real operating systems in my
opinion.  Cutesy Sells though doesn't it...

When I get a larger than 137GB drive and the correct Windows Patches, I
will see if I can get it working and report on how reliable it is in Win98.
 I have a 486/50 running Windows 3.11FW that can browse the net (in 256
colors), so this drive support should be easy!  : )

Thanks to everyone for so much usable information on this subject.  As soon
as David posted that about the 160GB I started wondering.  Such extensive
(exhaustive?) answers are really appreciated.

Thank you,
John Martin