Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:38:09 +0100
From: Richard Mittendorfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Toshiba 100GB HD review

Also sprach John Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:35:11
-0800):
> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:31:38 -0800
> From: John Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [LIB] Toshiba 100GB HD review
>
> I do not run linux, I run Windows 98SE as it is required for
> compatibility  by my profession.
> So, will a Libretto 100/110CT running Windows 98SE be able to see all
> of a  hard drive larger than 128GB?

I don't know, but AFAIK it sees what it get's from BIOS. And the
Libretto BIOS will not see the whole disk (INT13 limitations).
So you will need some kind of bootmanager, which will pass the right
table to the OS, I've heard about such a thing, but can't name one.
Hope, google will help.

I doubt that W98 can _handle_ disks greater 128GiB/137.4GB(SI norm).
IIRC 48bit LBA(?) first came with ServicePack1 to XP.

Linux since 2.4.19 can handle them. It also doesn't read the BIOS, so
the INT13 limit doesn't show up.

> I am almost certain I understood the 128GB limitation to be hardware,
> not  software, so in that case the operating system, linux as well as

Both i think.

> Windows,  would be secondary as far as translation.  I also realize
> that if the  hardware of the day didn't support such drive sizes, it
> is likely the  software addressing and interpretation would also not
> have been present in  the OS's of that time period.  I realize also
> that some people have Windows  2000 working on older Librettos and of
> course many Librettos shipped with  NT, but I don't believe these OS's
> look at drives the same as the older  Windows versions.
> Anyone care to expand on this?

The old ATA standard has a 137.4 GB limit. It's gone with ATA-6.

-------8<-------
The old ATA standard describes how to address a sector on an IDE disk
using 28 bits (8 bits for the sector, 4 for the head, 16 for the
cylinder). This means that an IDE disk can have at most 2^28 addressable
sectors With 512-byte sectors this is 2^37 bytes, that is, 137.4 GB.

The ATA-6 standard includes a specification how to address past this
2^28 sector boundary. The new standard allows addressing of 2^48
sectors. There is support in recent Linux kernels that have incorporated
Andre Hedrick's IDE patch, for example 2.4.18-pre7-ac3 and 2.5.3.

So I doubt, the 1x0ct will work with this drives. AFAIK there were
interface changes which affect the whole IDE interface (hw).

> John Martin

sl ritch