Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 04:59:09 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MARGI - Was: [LIB] Lib list server belly up?

From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<snip>

I was reading Philip's page on setting up W2k on the 110, and was wondering if I ought to try disabling SFP. But it seems he was dealing with SP2. I've got SP3 installed, and will probably upgrade that to SP4. I don't see any info on
disabling SFP in W2K SP4 though.

I ran SP4 on my Lib, maybe even a "SP5" a la Fred Vorck. Fred Vorck's pages are also based on SP4. And yes, disabling SFP makes a huge difference, no so much for RAM usage but rather for starting up / shutting down times.

I reinstalled W2k to address a problems with my Echo Indigo sound card on my 110. When I 1stgot it, I was a few days trying to find a workaround for audio playback stopping in the middle of the 1st MP3. I found that if I let W2K boot and load ZoneAlarm, then start Winamp, and then shut down ZA, I could get MP3s to play continuously.

Silly me, I thought if I just disabled ZA from loading at boot, I'd be able to get Winamp to play MP3s throught the Echo properly. But the ZA workaround was the only thing that got continous playback.

Then suddenly even that workaround stopped working. I reinstalled W2K after trying everything I could come up with. In the process I found my 32MB expansion had stopped to be recognized in BIOS. That got me back to the workaround to get MP3/Indigo playback. But it’s never been reliable. Within 4-6 hours of play, Winamp will still stop playback mid-track, and usually requires a reboot of the system 2-3 times in that 4-6 hour play time.

There’s plenty of system resources, 35,342K total at boot and then 5696K more after Winamp loads. I’d think 64MB RAM would be able to deal with that. Can’t quite figure out what’s locking things up…. Maybe a memory conflict somewhere.

Any idea what’s going on there Philip? I was very close to going the Vorck route before I found the loose RAM.

Matt

Libretto list info: