Well since the discussion is continuing on our shores, I'll just tag
along for a while...

Nathan,

I can't help but find it quite ironical your statement about libusbx
falling behind on OSX support given that libusbx is the project that has
seen the most recent commit on darwin_usb.c.

Then again, since you can't care less what libusbx does, it's also
understandable that you can caress the idea of the OS-X backend in
libusbx just going wither and die on account of you not being around.
The issue with that of course is, I wouldn't have added HID support for
OS-X on our roadmap if I didn't think that we could pull this off
regardless of your help (as long as the OS doesn't get in our way), or
any other heavy OS-X development we may need for that matter. Also,
should we logically expect you to declare that the Windows backend in
libusb is as good as dead, since (as Peter tried to posit recently) it's
_supposed_ to be my exclusive work?

Finally, I'll just point that you were offered a maintainer's position
on libusbx, which you declined, and that when we initially asked for
your advice on the fork, you gave us a very supportive statement.
Therefore it's a bit gratuitous to criticise the direction taken by a
democratic process you were initially very supportive of, but _chose_
not to participate into.

Peter,

Oh boy, I could spend all night commenting on the latest from your
reality distortion field. But then again, libusbx 2.0 requires action.

1. Can't figure a good way for anyone to visualize how busy you are? How
about this: [1]? Or how about something like this: [2] (which I used to
maintain until it got too big for its own good and I grew tired of the
freezout incurred by your lack of integration/releases)?
And while I'm on the subject, please cry me a river about having to work
besides your FLOSS maintenance activities. I'm really not inclined to
talk about my own personal matters, but just so you know, I had another
10 hour workday yesterday, yet still managed to get a libusbx release
out, and an unplanned one at that...

2. You shouldn't try to blame other people on the lack of releases, but
instead should count on resources being very limited at all times.
Especially, as a maintainer, the less you count on anyone helping you
perform the tasks you want to see done, the better. Besides avoiding the
"pass the blame around game", you'll find the approach offers the
following two advantages:
- It makes you all the more pleasantly surprised and grateful when
somebody does
- If people that you though were originally going to help decide to drop
off, for whatever reason, it doesn't exactly become a big deal.
On the other hand, the more you decide to alleviate or delay work, on
account that project critical mass should really just be just around the
corner, the less you are likely to see said project reach critical mass.
Also, I can't help but note that the one critical mass libusb has
actually reached was the one required for its fission.

3. The reason you have received another and final waning about being
banned from libusbx isn't on account of me "feeling uncomfortable". But
congrats, as always, on trying to present what actually happened in a
way that could make an uninitiated believe that your final warning came
as a result of you wanting to help people. However, for the benefit of
presenting the other side of the coin, let me summarize, again, the
reason for the ban warnings, using what I think is a close metaphor:
For many months now, you have been a guest at a house, which is not
yours, but has also felt obliged to stand by the door and greet a large
number of new guests with a "Don't you think that house smells?".
Moreover, each and every time we called you on this extremely rude
behaviour, by asking you to point precisely to the place you thought
smelt, we have had to go through your best impression of "well I never!".
If your idea of providing "help" is to start with a statement dismissing
the part of the software users are seeking help with in terms of
stability, and furthermore, as statement that you have not once been
able to provide evidence for and that you wouldn't utter for the other
parts that share similar cricumstances, you'll understand that we will
prefer to pass on receiving your "help". Oh, and should you wish to use
the new anecdotal "evidence" from Moses, please understand that his
report hasn't been investigated enough to be used as _proof_ (especially
as it seems to be tied to CancelIOEx not working on XP, which is a pure
OS limitation) and that perception and proof are very different things.
Still I would encourage you to try to prove your claim for once, as
pointing to actual verifiable bugs from the Windows backend would be
both helpful to all and a welcome change.

Regards,

/Pete

[1] https://github.com/pbatard/libwdi/wiki/Backlog
[2] https://github.com/pbatard/libwdi/wiki/Activity-Log