On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM, efleming969 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wow, thanks for the feedback.
>
> I should have been more clear as to what I meant by "High Risk".  I'm
> not concerned so much with Lift's technical merit, but rather the risk
> of personnel.  If I get hit by the "proverbial bus" then my client/
> employer will have a difficult time completing/maintaining the project
> due to skill set alone.

I think it's naïve to think that you can swap-in and swap-out "programmers"
like they were generic building blocks.
I've been building enterprise systems using Java for 7 years now, and my
experience is that the only time
you can exchange one programmer for another is if someone writes the spec
and the programmer "just puts the letters into the file".
And trust me, no programmer worth paying for would work under those terms.

So, to sum up what I mean: 1 star developer with tools of his/her choice >
100 Java Joes with Struts 1 and EJB2
Also, the star developer doesn't cost 100 times more or takes 100 times
longer to finish the task.

Also, the quality of the code (maintainability and defect ratio) is better
with the star developer.

So, to sum up. No it's not as easy to find a "generic" developer, but using
outdated technology with sub-par developers is not a good path to take. :)

This is, of course, my very personal opinion, and may be considered as the
ravings of a madman...

Cheers,
Viktor

--