Marius:

On 31-Mar-09, at 12:31 PM, marius d. wrote:

> On Mar 31, 5:06 pm, Clemens Oertel <clemens.oer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Why not provide the same template mechanism used for forms for HTML
>> output? This way I can reuse the same template for both - given that
>> my records have at least dozens, if not even hundreds, of fields,
>> that'd be a great help.
>
> Well you can load templates from an html file. Please see
> LiftSession.findAnyTemplate function.

just thought that, since MetaRecord has

def toForm(inst: BaseRecord): NodeSeq
and
def toForm(inst: BaseRecord, template: NodeSeq): NodeSeq

it would only be consistent to provide similar means for HTML output.

> Well I can understand the urge but we do NOT recommend processing
> templates outside of rendering pipeline. You can call
> LiftSession.processSurroundAndInclude so that lift tags to be
> processed etc. but again it is not recommended. The main reason is
> that your functions that you assume to be bounded during this off-
> cycle template processing, will not actually be bounded cause it i
> happening in the wrong place.
>
> The Record's form template is to allow you to shape the form in any
> way you like (from markup perspective). But this template is supposed
> to be very very lightweight in terms of lift's tags. It is just an
> xhtml fragment and not a full blow page/(lift template).

Mmh, maybe there's a misunderstanding. I was only using the template
as indicated in the source code, or so I thought.

May I just provide an abbreviated version of the code that I come up
with?