One follow up question, relating to the contexts I mentioned earlier:
Following my approach mentioned below, let's assume I have a template
for embedding. This template contains  the HTML code for a tabular
list of data entities. Depending on where the template is embedded,
some of the entities' fields should appear as links: There are 2
linkable reference fields A and B, and depending on the context,
either A, B, or A and B should be rendered as links to the referenced
entity.

This logic obviously can't go into the template. Also, the model's
toForm method is unsuitable (having the model referring to a
RequestVar seems evil to me). No no, this should go into the snippet,
where such logic belongs. But this would mean having to go through the
templates XML tree before calling Site.toForm(site, form), enclosing
all affected liftf:field elements with the respective links. This
sounds very, very wrong.

Thus, from my current understanding, this context-sensitive rendering
of fields is best done using the explicit lift-tag/bind approach. So
I'll probably have to have explicit bind calls anyways, and won't be
able to use my initial approach of having the mapper class (or it's
companion object) fill out the forms itself.

I'd be happy if someone could prove me wrong ...

Best,
Clemens

PS: Exercise for the reader: Instead of selective linking, have only
either A or B be displayed, depending on the embedding context.

On 31-Mar-09, at 3:59 PM, marius d. wrote:

> [...]

Clemens Oertel
clem...@oertel.ca

Clemens Oertel
clem...@oertel.ca