I don't know if this is typical, but I typically deploy my apps in an EAR,
in which case you just add another "EAR Build" module that packages up the
Persistence module as an EJB module (v3) and then adds the WAR(s). It
requires that you make some slight changes to the POM for the Persistence
module (change packaging to ejb), but otherwise it's a simple change.
Otherwise, you can just deploy the JPA module jar and webapp modules
separately. To answer your question, I think that you should be able to just
duplicate the existing project, although I think that you should be able to
handle enforcing login and SSL via SiteMap for just the portions you want to
protect.

Derek