I applaud Artem's initiative!

The mailing list has undoubtedly been an extremely helpful resource.
That said, a mailing lists in general have several short comings:

- Hard to search through
- Many duplicate questions
- No stickies
- No syntax highlighting and few formatting options
- Little to no message organization
- Few moderation tools

A forum could be a nice way to address these issues, so it might be
worth a try.  Also I think introducing a forum is anymore likely to
splinter than an IRC chat room.

Just my two cents.

-Xavi