On Nov 17, 11:38 am, Heiko Seeberger <heiko.seeber...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> 2009/11/17 David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
>
> > The current Lift is not a major change to Lift 1.0, it's a minor
> > progression and a lot of tuning of the developer experience.
>
> There are breaking changes to the API which in the version policy suggested
> by me (the OSGi way) means increasing the major version number. OK, of
> course we need not stick to this particular version policy, but it would be
> beneficial to have one. What about: Increasing the minor version number
> (e.g. 1.0 -> 1.1) means breaking changes to the API. Increasing the micro
> version number (e.g. 1.1.0 -> 1.1.1) means *no* breaking changes to the API.

+1 This is the standpoint that's most aligned with the de-facto policy
that we have had with 1.0 series. We sure can follow this for 1.1
series too.
The only addition could be to start with an actual micro version
(1.1.0 instead of 1.1).

The other situation where a software bumps up to next higher version
is when it move to a major upstream products (and breaks backward
compatibility for the better).

Seeing through Lift, we can possibly state:

Lift 1.1.x: on Java 5/6 and Scala 2.7/2.8 [supports 2.8.x but backward
compatible with 2.7.x]
Lift 2.0.x: on Java 6 and Scala 2.8 [moving away from backward
compatibility with Java < 6 and Scala < 2.8.x and hence *major*
backward incompatible change]

- Indrajit