Good morning David,

What happens if the exchange node only sends its preimage towards the payer and
not towards the payee?

If the payer and payee do not coordinate, then it becomes possible for the
exchange node to take the funds without the payee gaining the ability to claim
the payment.
This might be used by a node to take proofs of payment without paying, by
simulating the payer and exchange nodes.
This may be important if the proof of payment is valuable, such as, the
mentioned offline Lightning vending machines, or if the preimage is the
decryption key for valuable data (e.g. ransomware; now the ransomware author
may find it is scammed off their potential earnings).

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.