On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Alberto Simões-2 [via Lilypond] <
ml-node+s1069038n183435...@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Although not doubting your suggestion, I would be very interested to
> know if there is such a thing like a document describing a "best
> practices" for writing/engraving music.

There definitely is (though I'd hardly call any of them a "document"). The
most prominent work at the moment is Elaine Gould's "Behind Bars", but
there are others that are very good, some more dated than others:

   - Ted Ross - The Art of Music Engraving and Processing
   - Kurt Stone - Music Notation in the Twentieth Century: A Practical
   Guidebook
   - Gardner Read - Music Notation: A Manual of Modern Practice
   - Clinton Roemer - The Art of Music Copying

HTH,

Abraham